Your personal computer is always at risk of malicious programs called virus that causes damage to it,there are some acts we did that make our Pc vulnerable to these virus most of it unintentionally.We are going to guide you in this article on How To Stop Virus From Entering Your PC.
- Email is one of the common ways by which your computer can catch a virus. So it is always recommended to stay away from SPAM. Open only those emails that has it’s origin from a trusted source such as those which comes from your contact list. If you are using your own private email host (other than Gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc.) then it is highly recommended that you use good anti-spam software. And finally NEVER click on any links in the emails that comes from untrusted sources.
- Be careful about using MS Outlook. Outlook is more susceptible to worms than other e-mail programs, unless you have efficient Anti-Virus programs running. Use Pegasus or Thunderbird (by Mozilla), or a web-based program such as Hotmail or Yahoo (In Fire fox).
- Never open any email attachments that come from untrusted sources. If it is a picture, text or sound file (these attachments end in the extensions .txt, .jpeg, .gif, .bmp, .tif, .mp3, .htm, .html, and .avi), you are probably safe, but still do a scan before opening.
- As we all know, Internet is the main source of all the malicious programs including viruses, worms, Trojans etc. In fact Internet contributes to virus infection by up to 80%. So here are the tips for safe surfing habits so that you can ward off virus infection up to the maximum extent.
- Don’t click on pop-up windows that announce a sudden disaster in your city or announce that you’ve won an hourly prize. They are the ways to mislead Internet users and you should never trust them. You can also use a pop-up blocker to automatically block those pop-ups.
- USB thumb/pen drives are another common way by which viruses spread rapidly. So it is always a good habit to perform a virus scan before copying any data onto your computer. NEVER double-click the pen drive to open it. Instead right-click on it and select the option “open”. This is a safe way to open a pen drive.
- Most of us use search engines like Google to find what we are looking for. It is quite obvious for a malicious website to get listed in the search results. So to avoid visiting those untrusted malicious websites, you can download and install the AVG Link Scanner which is a freeware. This tool can become very handy and will help you to stay away from malicious websites
- Install good antivirus software and keep it updated. Also perform full system scan periodically. It is highly recommended that you turn on the automatic update feature. This is the most essential task to protect your PC from viruses. If PC security is your first option then it is recommended that you go for shareware antivirus software over the free ones. Most of the antivirus supports the Auto-Protect feature that provides real-time security for your PC. Make sure that this feature is turned on.
- Do not use disks that other people gave you, even from work. The disk could be infected with a virus. Of course, you can run a virus scan on it first to check it out.
Set up your Windows Update to automatically download patches and upgrades. This will allow your computer to automatically download any updates to both the operating system and Internet Explorer. These updates fix security holes in both pieces of software.
- While you download files from untrusted websites/sources such as torrents, warez etc. make sure that you run a virus scan before executing them.
- And finally it is recommended not to visit the websites that feature illegal/unwanted stuffs such as cracks, serials, warez etc. since they contribute much in spreading of viruses and other malicious programs.
Suggestions above can also apply to smartphones and other gadgets,follow the guidelines and keep your computer safe!
ANY COMMENTS OR CONTRIBUTION YOU ARE FREE TO COMMENT BELOW